About DIY Blogroll Contact

Friday 11 May 2012

DIY: Scrabble Tile Necklace Pendants

I think Scrabble tiles are waaay underrated when it comes to DIY jewelry. The possibilities are endless- Rings, charms, earrings… I have a feeling they’ll be making guest appearances in posts to come!
I’ve been wanting to make a Scrabble necklace pendant for a long time, but I haven’t really known how to go about it. After a bit of tinkering around, though, I’ve figured out a pretty fool- proof method.




- You’ll need a Scrabble tile, a safety pin, a candle, some matches, a jump ring and some pliers.

Firstly, I used my pliers to cut off the straight, pointed part of the safety pin. I then bent the non- pointed end into a loop, as shown below. This acts kind of like an eye bolt, only it’s alot thinner, which is important later on.
I then lit the candle, and held my ‘mock eye bolt’ over the flame, holding the looped end with my pliers. This heats the metal in preparation for the next step. Now, hold your Scrabble tile at the ready, and once you’re ready, quickly move the mock eye bolt out of the flame and pierce the top edge of the Scrabble piece.  The heated pin will soften the plastic enough to lodge it into the tile. (Note: if you haven’t done this before, this may take a few attempts, as it takes a bit of getting used to.)

Once you’ve done this, all you need to do is attach the jump ring and put it on your chain of choice! Easy peasy…




No comments:

Post a Comment